High School Internships
Saco River Theatre is looking for high school students with an interest in technical theater to join us as interns for every Mainstage theatre production each season! Interns work directly with the professional designers and director of the play they’re assigned to, honing their skills and getting to experience the design and tech process in a professional setting.
WE ARE CURRENTLY SEEKING LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL INTERNS FOR THE FINAL SHOW OF THE 2016 SEASON:
ANGEL STREET by Patrick Hamilton – September/October, 2016
WHAT THE INTERNSHIPS INVOLVE
• Internships are open to high school students who attend school in one of the school systems of the Saco River Valley: Bonny Eagle, Gorham, Scarborough, Massabesic, Saco, and Biddeford.
• Internships last for one production in the SRT Mainstage season
• Interns are assigned to an area of production depending on their interest and previous experience. Depending on the show, we are seeking interns with interest/experience in many different areas of technical theatre, including Stage Management, Costumes/Wardrobe, Lighting/Electrics, Sound, Sets/Props, and Scenic Painting.
• The time commitment for internships can vary, but typically includes 2-4 design/work calls during pre-production, 1-2 evenings for load-in, and 2 evenings of Tech. If the internship also includes running the show, there are then 7 performances (including dress rehearsal).
WHAT WE OFFER INTERNS
• The experience/resume credit of being part of a professional production team.
• Opportunities to test their existing technical skills in a professional setting outside of their high school and learn new abilities they can take back and apply at their school.
• Mentorship from the local professional designers and director working on the production.
• Fulfilling a Community Service requirement at their high school, if applicable.
• Comp tickets to all Saco River Theatre productions this season.
HOW INTERNS ARE SELECTED
• Interns are selected by SRT leadership from the group of those who have expressed interest for each show.
• SRT must receive a written or phone recommendation from the prospective intern’s high school theater instructor or from a professional colleague in order to be considered.
• Interns are typically selected 4-6 weeks before the show’s opening night.
If you’re a high school theater student in our area with an interest in technical theater and would like to be considered for an internship at Saco River Theatre, or you are a high school theater teacher who would like to recommend a student, please contact Education & Programs Manager Daniel Burson at: email@example.com.